Vrijmarkt Amsterdam flea market, Amsterdam - Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS
The vrijmarkt is a nationwide car boot sale or flea market with 3,000 exhibitors. Koningsdag (From 1890 to 2013, the day was known as Koninginnedag) is the one day of the year that the Dutch government permits sales on the street without a permit and without the payment of value added tax.
Anyone is free to take part in the street market and the array of deals waiting to be snapped up, therefore ranges from handy gadgets and vintage chic to the rather useless and downright bizarre. It’s an essential part of King’s Day and loved by bargain hunters and ‘window’ shoppers alike. And it’s not only second-hand wares on offer – plenty of food stalls spring up to fuel flea market enthusiasts’ and tourists’ bargain hunting frenzy!
Various districts and specific streets of the city are known as being hot-spots for particular second-hand items. Among the most popular areas for the Vrijmarkt flea market in Amsterdam is De Jordaan district, but the wide Apollolaan in front of the Hilton hotel in southern Amsterdam is gaining in popularity. Children sell their cast-off toys or garments at the Vondelpark, also in southern Amsterdam, and in a spirit of fun passers-by often offer the young sellers more than they are asking for the goods.
Children sell their cast-off toys or garments at the Vondelpark, also in southern Amsterdam, and in a spirit of fun passers-by often offer the young sellers more than they are asking for the goods.
Until 1996 the vrijmarkt flea market began the evening before and continued for 24 hours. This was ended in the hope of gaining a pause in the celebrations so preparations could be made for the daytime activities. Utrecht, uniquely among Dutch municipalities, retains the overnight vrijmarkt.
Where: Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS
When: Tuesday 27th April, 2017
- Page 1: Intro
- Page 2: Braderie de Lille Flea Market: The Biggest Flea Market in Europe - Lille, FRANCE
- Page 3: Munich’s giant flea market - Munich, GERMANY
- Page 4: Vrijmarkt Amsterdam flea market, Amsterdam - Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS
- Page 5: IJ-Hallen flea market - Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS
- Page 6: Clignancourt Flea Market (St-Ouen flea market) - Paris, FRANCE
- Page 7: Vanves Flea Market - Paris, FRANCE
- Page 8: Newark International Antiques & Collectors Fair - Nottinghamshire, UNITED KINGDOM
- Page 9: Naschmarkt Flea Market - Vienna, AUSTRIA
- Page 10: Mauerpark Flea Market - Berlin, GERMANY
- Page 11: Ecseri Flea Market (Ecseri Bolhapiac) - Budapest, HUNGARY
- Page 12: Ardingly Antiques and Collectors Fair - West Sussex, UNITED KINGDOM
- Page 13: Alexandra Palace Antiques & Collectors Fair - London, UNITED KINGDOM
- Page 14: Porta Portese Flea Market - Rome, ITALY
- Page 15: Mercatone dell’Antiquariato del Naviglio Grande - Milan, ITALY
- Page 16: El Rastro Flea Markets - Madrid, SPAIN