Since 1959, Italjet has been manufacturing two-wheelers. Rather known for its motorcycles and thermal scooters – the company was founded by Leopoldo Tartarini, former motorcycle rider for the Ducati team – the Italian brand is committed today to creating lifestyle products with a strong personality, high quality components and a very original design.
In fact, the company (r)evolutionized its product line in 2012, when it launched its first range of electric bicycle with vintage style, in collaboration with the American company Spalding & Bros. In November 2014, at the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the motorcycle show in Milan, Italjet unveiled its new electric concept bike: the Ascot.
The first thing you notice on the Ascot electric bicycle, is its purposeful neo-retro style inspiration taken from interwar period, which features nice upholstery leather with chrome elements. The handle, seat and the pocket to slide the battery are decorated with quality leather, and along with the knucklehead headlight and wheel spokes adds to the retro look of the bike.
Our favorite detail? The clock embedded in the stem, below the handle bar…
The Ascot weighs only 24 kilograms (53 lbs), all thanks to its sleek design. We can’t but associate it to a cruiser bike (or beach cruiser) that is uniquely American, or even totally Californian. Last but not least, the 250 watts motor of the Ascot guarantees a driving range of 50-70 km (31-43 miles) with a top speed of 24 km/h (15 mph).
The price of this jewel of vintage design has not been disclosed yet by Italjet, but when compared to previous models, it should be priced around 3,000€.
- Autonomy 50 to 70 km (30 to 44 miles).
- Speed 24 km/h (15 miles/h).
- Display: KM5S LCD, with 5 assistance levels, covered in leather.
- Motor: 8 Fun, 36 V x 250 W, brushless front motor, speed <25 km/h).
- Pas Sensor: Magnetic sensor, 12 point.
- Battery: 36 V x 13, 2 Ah lithium ion removable.
- Battery recharging time: 4 hours (Charger: 42V 3A).
- Frame: Alloy frame with leather bag integrated made in Italy by A.G. Spalding & Bros, Brooks Flyer saddle and Head/Rear lights
- Front fork: With double arc, double chrome spring and 4 bearings.
- Shifter: NuVinci N360B-C-SV-01.
- Brakes: Front brake (Disk brake D 203mm) & Rear brake (Disk brake D 180mm).
- Rim: Double wall alloy, 24 x 45 mm.
- Tyre: 24 x 3,00 brown tire
Photos © Italjet